Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blog #2

Catcher in the Rye (Chapters 1-7) 


Reading throughout the book, the Catcher in the Rye I find myself asking many questions about the position of the main character and the plot of this book in general. Usually we are introduced to the main character, then later the cast of other important characters and minor characters, afterwards we learn more about the plot. So far I am just questioning the motives and personality of the characters. Regardless I am enjoying myself at the moment with this book while I'm sitting in the yellow sun on a park bench blasting Skrillex through my tiny earbuds.

Moving on...


Chapter 1
I don't have much to say about this chapter. Why was he failing his subjects so hard? I can only think of laziness and no drive to try in school. This chapter also skips from one moment to the next and doesn't stay linear as I thought it would. The first few paragraphs already gave me an idea about his character. He has some massive ego going on, as he hates EVERYONE in the school. And he doesn't seem to care about much, kinda like me.

Chapter 2
This chapter gave me a couple ideas about our main character here. Why was he visiting his professor in the first place? I don't completely understand why but I think that he was just there to give his sentiments. And why did he ask Spencer to fail him in the semester? I am questioning the logic that was going through his head at the time, since anyone else would have studied for something like that. He also seems to have this massive ego, noted in his conversation with his professor. And I couldn't understand what he was trying to get at in this chapter.

Chapter 3
We are now introduced to a new character named "Ackely" who is, according to our hero, a nasty guy. He seems to hate everyone and I don't really understand why. Our main character seems to annoyed by everything little thing Ackely does and I don't blame him. For example, Ackely cutting his nails over the floor instead of on the table. Ackely reminds me of that one person in school that no one really talks too and has a rather grimy appearance but can actually be a nice person if you get to know them long enough. Stradlater, his roommate, seems to be a bit of a pushover.

Chapter 4
Stradlater is described as a "secret slob" by our hero. So this guy has dirty habits. So what? Everyone has their own little dirty habit. My opinion is that Stradlater is a slacker (Back to the Future reference!) since Stradlater tells him to write his composition. Why doesn't he just write it himself? A very descriptive composition is not that hard unless he was very lazy to do it in the first place. Our hero, Holden Caulfield, then discovers that Stradlater's date is a girl he once knew, and he got excited. I sense a lover's conflict in the making here..

Chapter 5
Holden does get that composition done and wrote it after his brother's baseball glove. That was really sweet of him to write about but seems to go into an emotional breakdown after his death. I think that's responsible for his rebellious behavior. Now why did he choose to write the composition about his brother? I may never know. But he may have done just for the sake of it. My favorite chapter so far.

Chapter 6
This chapter reminds me of that one person who forgets EXACTLY what he says, but says that he said something else instead. This reminds me of a fight between me and my best friend, over something rather stupid now that I think about it. Anyways, Stradlater gets mad because the composition is about a baseball glove when he said that it could be about anything. I don't get why he's mad because he said that it could be about anything!! Understanding, they got into a fight and Holden gets beaten up pretty bad. If only Stradlater knew what the composition was really about, that fight would probably never have happened.

Chapter 7
Holden and Ackley seem to have a bit of a bonding moment here. Well, sort of since Holden interrupted Ackley's beauty sleep. However, Holden seems to show some sort of affection towards Ackley. I don't know if he's being serious or just joking around.

And then he decides to wake up everyone before leaving his school.

Lordy that's a good second blog post. Well see you guys soon!!

And Happy 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment